Friday 24 September 2010

Batman Began....


...but last night on Italia 1 he had a really hard time finishing. Just when Bruce Wayne and I were really getting it on - ayo - Coitus Interruptus! Car ads, phone company ads, what's on tomorrow/the weekend/next week, a 5 minute news headlines round up (the usual litany of murders and fatal car crashes) and by the by when I saw that Belen Rodriguez jeans ad earlier in the evening, that nipple wasn't out there was it? Another Fiat ad at a crucial moment in the film did nothing to whet or increase my rapidly diminishing appetite - at one point I almost felt like getting dressed and leaving while Batman was slipping into something more black, leathery and uncomfortable.
The official running time for Batman Begins is 140 minutes. It started at 9.10 and without ads would have finished at 11.30. As it was Christian Bale and Michael Caine didn't wander off into the rubbly sunset until after midnight. Taking out 5 minutes for the news, that leaves approximately 25 minutes of advertising. Of course I don't expect to watch any film on TV without ads. I certainly don't expect to watch anything on Mediaset without it's usual mix of self congratulatory publicity, news and weather thrown in,and in fact 25 minutes spread over 3 hours doesn't sound a lot. But when it comes between me and this particular Caped Crusader I almost feel moved to kick the screen in.Oh and yes - that was your definition of high definition Italia 1? I don't think so.

Just as well I didn't throw my sandals, a courgette or anything else at the TV though, because I wouldn' have been able to watch The Wrestler and have my guts wrenched,my heart broken and cry a river for Mickey Rourke. I never thought I'd weep over seeing someone working on a deli counter but hey that's the Power of Mickey and long may it reign.

And obviously, it was a rented dvd, in the language it was supposed to be in, and without interruption ( not counting my sniffles)

No comments:

Post a Comment