Thursday 30 September 2010

Berlin, we have a problem....



Last night, finding that Shutter Island was still out (yes I am about 200 years behind the times because I live on a desert island in the middle of the Mediterranean, forgive me) Stef, in desperation, took Operation Valkyrie as the next best option.

So let's talk about Apollo 13. Apollo 13 is a film about a specific event, something that really happened, and something that happened in the life time of many of us. We know how the disaster unfolded, we know how it ended. Knowing the outcome however doesn't in any way detract from the tension - it's still an exhilarating nail biting ride from beginning to end. So why was Operation Valkyrie so endlessly boring? It was well written, well acted, well made. But I just couldn't bring myself to care because I knew that however brave these men were ( and they undoubtedly were)and however clever this plan was, in the end it was going to fail. Perhaps it's there that the difference lies - between a succesful and unsuccesful end - I don't know. Great to see Carice Van Houten in a film of this stature though, even though her part was miserably small.

As I'm on a film roll at the moment, I will just mention The Prince of Persia which we saw earlier this week. The sight of the Disney logo always makes my heart sink anyway and Jake, I love you but please don't ever do this to me - or yourself- again.

The wonderful Carice and her equally wonderful partner Sebastian..

2 comments:

  1. While Ana was here we were also on a film roll and I must admit we saw some pretty good ones, including:
    ladies in lavender
    cairo time
    the house of spirits
    keeping mum
    mrs henderson presents
    a good year...etc...etc

    Just saying, as winter is approaching you might want to make notes...I do, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll be catching up this winter- it ws fab when Jo was here because she bought some of her dvd's with her, made my year! Your recommendations are noted with thanks xxxx

    ReplyDelete