Sunday 1 March 2009

if it's sunday this must be.....

a new blog at least...

enough already with the sunday night detective, his raincoat, his dog, his cigars - there is still life on mars and I just looked at minime, my little ranter which I do really like in retrospect- very short and sharp and to the point, I shall bring it back from the dead - rise up mini me and walk.

I'm not looking for a global gossip village of readership, been there, learnt the code and oh oh done it to death and I really do not want herb thursdays and fish wednesdays and matchbox mondays cluttering me up and making me desperate for something to say - was I ever that needy? Un giorno si, un giorno no. Ma non oggi.

Today I managed to pluck up courage to enter into the x factor italy forum, crikey how long did it take me to do that, I've been watching this prog like I was in love with someone in it from before it even started, thank you Morgan but do tell, your hair...are you going grey before dinner or is this a statement of your intentions, a badge of honour ( look what you did to me, you turned my hair grey) or er what? I never imagined in one thousand and one nights that I would ever hear someone speak the words Scott and Walker on italian television - you could have knocked me down with a bottle of Jacques Brel or some moody sunglasses with that one. A propros of which did you know that Brel once said he had never ever written a love song? He maintained that even Ne Me Quitte Pas ( quel fromage I don't remember but anyway If You Go Away in english) wasn't a love song, it was about desperation and humiliation and etc. Love actually then.

These then are my three favourite Not About Love songs because they are about something much much more.....

A Case of You sung only by Joni Mitchell, I will not accept substitutes and a freak yachting accident to the fool on Youtube who thought some other singer's version was so much better than the original...boom coming over, don't bother ducking you cloth eared bint. It's all over bar the loving which she can't give up on, no matter how much damage it does and I loved this when I was an emo 21 year old and I love it now as an emo old woman. Best bits? The chorus and this line

I knew a woman, she had a mouth like yours she knew your life, she knew your devils and your deeds, and she said 'go to him, stay with him if you can, but be prepared to bleed' emomissismo

Purple Rain sung only by Prince, who else would dare and who else could because he is the living genius, even Eric Clapton was humbled by his guitar playing so there. Glorious, epic, rock drama with every single component, lyrics, melody, guitar totally spot on. About unconditional love, the best and the hardest and the most painful. Best bits, from the beginning to the end and everything in between plus that Voice. Emo plus.

Amore Assurdo sung only by Marco Morgan Castoldi, this a recent discovery after I thought that I should at least listen to something of his as I am very very emo in his tv presence - shamed also into skulking about Youtube after S told me what a fantastic singer he is - hey hands off caro I don't really want to share my sad fantasies with my partner-in-life and all that. Blindingly powerful monologue on pain that just won't die, the italian language does this sort of thing so well, just read Dante in italian and then try it in english, I was knocked senseless by the lyrics which took me right back to the beginning, the whole Scott then Bowie thing and both of them bringing Amsterdam from Brel right out here where these things should be. The last line was perhaps too emo but I forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment