Tuesday 31 August 2010

'Local supermarket stocks foreign food shock'

Well I'll go to the top of our stairs - I went to our just round the corner Sisa this morning for loo roll ( glad I shared that?) and damn my eyes if they haven't introduced a weeny stand with 'foreign food' on it. You probably need to be a non Sardinian living in Sardinia to understand how unlikely this is. And as if in a Muraki inspired dreamscape, after writing about the tea garden yesterday, the first thing I saw was Wasabi Paste. OK, I still have half a jar of horseradish sauce that I bought back from the UK, but you know, I'm eking it out like it's caviar or something. I snappped up said paste and sod the cost but did draw the line at a tub of Sharwoods Hot Curry Powder - nearly six squid is about €4.00 too far. The price list above the stand did promise peanut butter but maybe they sold it all ?? No baked beans in Sisa as yet, but thanks to expat dedicated sourcing, I can pop up the other end of town to Conad for those.

Forgive me a small rant please - why oh why are the lemons €3 a kilo and imported? I mean, they grow on trees here, literally, everywhere. And why don't Italians eat vine leaves like the Greeks?

Oh and apropros of the tea garden - Himself sorted out the 'water feature' this morning - a nice ceramic bowl that has been lurking around for ever - and it has had holes drilled in the bottom..waaaa...now, I'll have to go and buy something, hence I'm sulking on the computer instead of being in zen mode and arranging pebbles and bits of wood. Still, onwards and downwards..tea anyone? without lemon, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment